Friday, 13 December 2013

The State of RAW Address (Part 1)

It's 12:20 a.m. and I'm at work, when I hear Eddie Guerrero's heel theme playing from my phone. I answer the phone, and it's Rihan. He breaks the news to me that tickets for the RAW from New Orleans in April 2014 were already on sale earlier that day as part of the pre-sale. He tells me that by chance, he was going through a wrestling forum and it was brought to his attention that a bunch of tickets were on sale, as a part of the pre-sale. We'd missed it. The first thing going through my head at the time was, "Aw F***".


7 Days Earlier...


It was just a week ago when I was on the phone to a friend talking about WrestleMania XXX, the stops en route to the big event, and The Super Bowl. Anuj by this point had already booked his tickets for RAW in May 2014 with his friends, and that made me wonder at that point why we hadn't already looked into tickets for the RAW after 'Mania. I mean, that one's sooner than the one he'd already booked tickets for, surely the April tickets had be to be out? So I started searching the net, but to no avail, I could not find anything. I drop Rihan a text saying, "Dude... Why can't I find tickets for the RAW after Mania online?" and to my relief I find out that the reason I couldn't find them, was because they weren't on sale yet! Phew. The New Orleans Arena, has an average capacity of 18,000. Now that number is a lot lower than the capacity of the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. By simple logic, not everyone that's going to be at WrestleMania, is going to get to be at RAW. We had to be sharp, we had to quick, we had to get the job done. However...

Back to the Future...


We had missed the pre-sale. I'm hoping that not all the sections were released for sale, and Rihan has convinced me that there's still hope. So as I'm on the phone, Rihan tells me that that he's not actually going to be on the country on the Saturday 14th, which is when the RAW tickets would next be on general sale. Damn. He says, "No pressure, but it's all on you" ;)

I said I'd call him back when I got back home.

Before I get home, I receive a long message with a bunch of links, and a set of instructions from him. My mission statement so to speak. My marching orders. After reading through it about 3 times I've pretty much memorized what the strategy was, tested out the links, and made sure I was familiar with the strategy setup. Yes, we take pro-wrestling seriously. It's not a sport, it's a way of life.

If you guys have been reading the blog from the very start you'll be familiar with comparison we'd made between a wrestling match and actually getting the tickets for WrestleMania. Well I think I'm about to head into my second match this Saturday, and this time, there are no tag team partners. I'm going it alone, and with a much lesser time limit and a good chance of RAW selling out. When the clock strikes, and the time is up, and the dust settles, will I be a Survivor taking my team through to RAW? Will I emerge with my arm raised and holding 4 spots for Monday Night RAW, LIVE from New Orleans, Louisiana? Or do we get denied the Mania after Mania? Time will tell..

For the Record...


Now I've heard a lot of mixed reactions about the TLC 'Undisputed Unified Champion of Champions match' between John Cena and Randy Orton, and I have an opinion of my own which I shared with a few different friends, and I just want to get it out here for the record.

When the match was first announced on the November 25th edition of Monday Night RAW I was thinking, "Woah, Woah, Woah, Hold the phone for a second!". How were they just about to make an Undisputed championship match with only 3 weeks notice? That's not enough time for a build-up as momumental as this one! On top of that I was pretty sure that they would be retiring the 'Big Gold Belt' and stick with the new WWE championship presented to the world by The Rock earlier in the year. I wasn't too hot on the idea as I'm probably a bigger fan of the World Heavyweight championship than the WWE title. Plus, TLC just didn't seem like the best backdrop for a match of such epic proportions. Surely a unification match should take place at WrestleMania?



If I were to have it my way, here's what I would do:
The finish for the TLC 'Champion of Champions' match would see both Orton and Cena, after having a grueling match, climbing up the ladder to end the match. With both guys atop the ladder, John Cena would reach out at the same time as Randy Orton and they would both grab a championship each. Orton pulling down the World Heavyweight championship (since that was the his first title) and Cena grabbing the WWE title (which is more synonymous with him) resulting in the match being a tie, but having both championships switch hands. The PPV would end raising more questions than settling once and for all, who the true champion would be. The next night on RAW I would have the greatest authority figure in the company, Mr. McMahon, return to have a "State of the Championship" address. In which he would announce the main event for the 30th anniversary of WrestleMania. The match would be between whoever possesses the WWE title, going up against whoever holds the World Heavyweight Championship at the time, and the winner of the 2014 Royal Rumble. 30 Years, 3 Challengers, 2 Iconic Belts, 1 Undisputed Champion. A Triple Threat match for the Undisputed WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XXX!

The reason I believe that this could work is that it would give the audience a slightly longer storyline to get behind and ponder upon, as well them being able to leave their options open. In terms of the build-up, a longer angle can be worked out with a clear goal in sight, and by the end of the Royal Rumble PPV, we'll know one third of the equation. By announcing the main event early, the attention towards it will only have a snowballing effect, and will allow the story to gain momentum more organically. Not mentioning that such a historic match should only take place at the Showcase of the Immortals. But what do I know? /-) What do you guys think?

Having said that, I'm gonna be one of the millions tuning in on Sunday night to see how exactly it'll all go down, and  the rest of the card is looking pretty solid. From the two handicap matches we'll be seeing I reckon one will have an upset win. I'm gonna go with Daniel Bryan somehow finding a way to overcome the trio of the Wyatt Family. I'm a believer that there's a good chance of him ending up with the Wyatt Family, but where would they go from there? On the other hand I see CM Punk losing the match but definitely not going down without a fight. I reckon that during the bout we'll see those continued hints of friction between the Shield that we've been seeing lately but they'll come out on top with the win. I'm putting my money on Natalya defeating AJ Lee, and finally becoming the Divas champion. AJ Lee has been champion since June, winning the title at the Payback PPV, and I think on Sunday her luck might just run out. Both Divas can deliver in that ring and the match should be a good one. Another singles championship that will be on the line this Sunday, will be Big E Langston's Intercontinental championship as he's set to defend against Damien Sandow. I'm putting my money on Langston, he's just getting started. Cody Rhodes and Goldust have been insanely good as of late, and on Sunday their titles are up for grabs in a Fatal-4-Way tag match. I'm not quite sure why the Usos are not in this one? I think the Rhodes boys will retain, and if they don't the straps should go to the Real Americans. WE THE PEOPLE! But that's just my opinion! Let me know what your thoughts are heading into TLC this Sunday...

You can tweet us: @RoadtoWM30

Facebook Page coming soon...

STAY TUNED!
Thanks for taking the time to read,
There's plenty more to come! /-) #Hope2EntertainU
Mau (14/12/13) 04:40

No comments:

Post a Comment